Friday, July 23, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH THE RECTOR, AUCHI POLYTECHNIC, AUCHI

Dr. (Mrs) P. O. Idogho On Her Two Years In Office.

THE PROMISE: Please can we get to know you better? Give us a brief history about yourself and life when growing up:

RECTOR : I was born in Kaduna and started my Primary education in Damaturu in the North. I had my secondary education at St. Angelas Grammar School Uzairue. I later obtained my National and Higher National Diploma in the Auchi Polytechnic. I obtained the post graduate diploma in education and a Masters degree in the University of Benin. I capped my degrees with a doctorate at the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.

Growing up was ok. I grew up in friendly neighbourhoods, played with friends and mates as any normal child would do.

THE PROMISE: You recently celebrated two years in office. How is the journey so far and also in our last interview with you on assumption of office, you did promise to restore the “lost glory” of the Federal Polytechnic Auchi. How have you been able to achieve this?

RECTOR: On assumption of office, it was clear in my mind what I wanted to do. The Polytechnic had clear challenges which had to be confronted if it must continue to enjoy its primacy of place. There were infrastructural challenges; there was the need to improve on our quality of staff especially in the area of ICT compliance; there was also the need to upgrade facilities and ensure accreditation of our programmes. Then, of course, there was the problem of congestion of the central academic area.

We have confronted these problems head on and today we have made progress in decongesting the central academic area by developing our campus II. To address infrastructural challenge we built four blocks of classrooms housing a total of twenty lecture halls. These were commissioned last month. We have moved some departments in the School of Business Studies to the new campus.

On staff training, we have encouraged and even now sponsor, through scholarship, our staff to go for higher degrees locally and overseas. Overseas training for staff last happened in this Polytechnic about twenty-five years ago. Presently, four of my staff are pursuing post graduate degrees abroad; thirty are in Nigeria. We are also processing papers for others to go later this year or early next year. Twenty of my staff have also gone for various overseas conferences.

In the area of ICT development, a total of 750 members of staff were trained in my first one year and we facilitated ownership of 500 lap tops. To further encourage staff, we pay registration and conference fees for them on attendance of conferences/seminars or workshop; we also now pay arrears to promoted staff. This has not happened in the past twenty years. I grew from the ranks myself and I can't remember earning arrears of promotion! In 2009, we trained 216 staff in this various professional callings. This year we have so far trained, 56.

To enhance the aesthetics of the school we have built the east and the west end gates of the Polytechnic and extended the perimeter fence considerably to provide some measure of security. We upgraded the radio network to enhance security operations on campus.

THE PROMISE: As a woman occupying an office referred to as “a prerogative of men”, how do you cope in a man's world. Have you had problems of gender discrimination?

RECTOR: Is there really a world for men? I have been able to cope through proper planning. They say if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. In the Polytechnic we have a plan to succeed. My staff are dedicated and committed. So we plan and we execute and the result has been good.

I have not had gender problem. In the Polytechnic progress is based on criteria of hardwork, qualification, experience and character. I have been a two term Head of Department, and a Dean before becoming Rector. There are also women in the Polytechnic holding high and sensitive positions.

THE PROMISE: Your record of achievement includes the development of staff through training both locally and internationally. How have you been able to fund it?

RECTOR: At the beginning, we prioritized our objectives and set aside funds which we prudently manage.

THE PROMISE: Since assumption of office, the issue of cult activities has died down in the institution. Can you share with us the key to your success in this area?

RECTOR: It is true that cult related activities has reduced. That is not to say that we should rest on our oars. What we have tried to do is to reorientate the students.

We provide training opportunities for newly elected union executives and representatives. We take them through basic law, due process, channels of communication and the processes of dialogue, negotiation and conciliation. This has improved their ability for constructive engagement. We also offer opportunities to students to attend national and international conferences like the Nigeria Model United Nations Conference in Abuja and the All Africa Students Union conference in London. When they return, we publicly honour them and show them as examples of what we want others to be. This has had the effect of rethinking on the part of students. We will never present arsonists and murderers as models; we will never hold forth students who maim others as examples.

In addition, our screening processes through post JAMB, enables us to assess and interact with our prospective students. This has ensured that we no longer admit high scoring candidates who on admission cannot cope with the demands of academic work and resort to harassment and intimidation on campus.

Besides, we have a good intelligence network and we now impose rapid and stiff sanctions on students who cause breach of the peace on campus after due processes of investigation and appearance before the students disciplinary committee.

Yes, we still have pockets of breaches in neighbouring communities, but the vigilante groups and the police have been competent and helpful.

THE PROMISE: What were your challenges while climbing up the ladder of success? And since your office is very tasking and demands a lot of your time. How are you able to combine your home front with your job?

RECTOR: Well for a woman, you have to meet the demands of work and home. I have to take care of my children, do domestic chores, go to the market etc. But with planning, I had time to cope. My husband has been particularly helpful and supportive.

THE PROMISE: You have received awards of recognition from various groups in the Catholic Church. Can you tell us some of your contributions to the Church that singled you out for the honours?

RECTOR: My contribution to the various church organizations is for others to assess and if they give me awards, the secret is just that I dedicate and apply myself to achieve goals set for any of the societies or organizations to which I belong and I am called to serve.

THE PROMISE: As a practicing Catholic, how do you bring your faith to bear in your job?

RECTOR: The church teaches us to have faith in God. I do. I treat all my staff fairly, equally and I uphold justice. I help were I can, advice were necessary and I bear no grudge against anybody.

THE PROMISE: How have you been able to inspire women to aspire to greater heights irrespective of their sex?

RECTOR: Through example and comportment. I encourage women to acquire higher education, improve skills and focus on their objectives.

THE PROMISE: What is your advice to youths seeing that you are in the business of building and shaping young lives?

RECTOR: Young men and women should focus on what they wish to achieve that will make them responsible players in the society. They should shun vices, shun anti-social behaviour and embrace hard work.

They should watch the company they keep and they should learn to confide in their parents and their religious leaders. They should discuss their problems and their aspirations with them and heed the advice they give.

THE PROMISE: Is there any negative reaction(s) from people that as a public figure, you will like to address.

RECTOR: Public figures are generally subject to abuses, tales and gossips. That is neither here nor there. I try to be fair to all, just to all and I do not deliberately go out to work hardship on anybody. Whatever opinion anybody has thereafter, is his/her's because he or she is entitled to hold an opinion.

THE PROMISE: What do you wish to be remembered for?

RECTOR: I came and tried to make a difference by making the Polytechnic better than I met it.

No comments:

Post a Comment